statcounter

Friday, August 14, 2009

Facebook

Here we are in the third week of August, and the digital download version of Ghost Notes the Audio Book is still nowhere to be found! CDBaby seems to be having some trouble, but they've communicated nothing to me, so I wouldn't know. I'll keep trying. Until then, you can always order a burned copy here.

I now publish the content of this blog at five places.

Here
My Facebook page
My MySpace page
My MySpace Audio page
And my MySpace bulletin board.

I also try to remember to post a blog reminder at my Twitter account, but this habit hasn't sunk in yet. Please follow me there, if you like. It will help keep me honest.

I seem to get readers at each of these locations, so if it's easier to keep up with my law layin' in one of these other ways, please do so.

While my blog is the same at all of these locations, my Facebook "note" seems to get the most attention. I'm not sure why that is. Facebook seems to be experiencing its peak as a social networking device, as a piece of our society. It's kind of weird how popular it is. Its appeal reaches across boundaries. Most everyone wants to be a part of it.

Back in 1994, when I first got hooked up, what most stunned me about the Internet was that everyone was interested in this new way of communicating, but no one was communicating in a new way. On the Internet you could get the same stuff you could get in newspapers or in books or in letters from your friends and family or on CB radios, but so what? What truly new way of thinking or communicating was going to evolve out of this new technology? Something revolutionary, right?

I wonder if Facebook is the latest, newest way to communicate, taking us one step out of the Internet's dark ages and giving nascent form to how we talk when we talk on the web. Combining text and images and links in an easy-to-understand interface, posting news and videos and the like, sending our thoughts only to those we know and approve of, is this the beginning of what our Internet lives will look like for a while? Forever?

Or not. What do you think?

Yours in laying down the law,

Art

Buy Ghost Notes, the novel or brand new audio book.



Buy Songs from Memory, the album


Buy Stuck Outside of Phoenix, the novel

No comments: